Delusions of Grandeur

Delusions of Grandeur

Random thoughts by Deoris

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Writing Successes: Remember yesterday? That was it. I was more visually creative today.

Music Playing: Jonatha Brooke "10 Cent Wings"

Exerpt from "...And You Think You've Got It Bad"
Etiquette and Courtesies - Man Is Such an Awkward Creature - You may judge a man's character from the way in which he shakes your hand. It is horrible when your unoffending digits are seized in the sharp compass of a kind of vise, and wrung and squeezed until you feel as if they were reduced to a jelly. But no better to find them laying in a limp, nerveless clasp that makes no response to your greeting, but chills like a lump of ice. Shake hands as if you mean it, swiftly, strenuously, and courteously, neither using an undue pressure nor falling wholly supine. As for cold-blooded creatures who offer you one or two fingers, it is rcommended you ignore them, look loftily over them as if unconscious of their existence and - their fingers.

I've always wanted to "look loftily" over someone as if I was unconscious of their existence. Never mind the fingers. Although I must say I've had some horrible handshakes in my time. Pretty much as described above. I was taught (by a book, I think) to have a firm grip and a strength of shake, but not too much. It's a lost art, shaking hands. I get cold-fingered penguin-grips all the time. I really like the descriptions in this paragraph.

Pardon me, I will be ranting now.

So, my husband (dh) and I usually pay our property taxes with our tax return money. But we lost our bill for the property taxes, and have spent a little bit of it along the way. He called them today and got the actual bill. I say, "Well, we'll send them a bunch now, and the rest we'll have to pay off as we go."

He remarks how I sound kind of matter-of-fact about having not paid the taxes, and having to spread out the payment. I'm like, I am matter of fact. He's like, "This is serious, you know." I point out that I KNOW that (see, I'm apparently totally stupid) and that I wasn't being "matter of fact" I just wasn't in a PANIC like he is. He says, "You sounded like it was no big deal! It's a big deal."

I attempt to explain that it is NOT that big a deal. We'll just pay it off month-to-month. In fact, if we start doing that, next time tax time comes around we won't have a big bill to pay, some will be paid. I explain that this is just how I see things vs how he sees things. I'm a glass half-full, he's a glass-half-empty.

He proceeds to lecture me on why I should go get a job. "Well, we just don't have enough money coming in," and yadda yadda yadda. I've heard this song a million times, every month, every year since I decided to stay home so I can raise my children and take them to appointments and all that kind of stuff.

*sigh*

I stop him. "Look, I don't want to do this tonight. I just wanted to explain my TONE. I don't want to have this discussion again tonight." He FUMES, throws his hands in the air with a disgusted look on his face and goes stomping off into the bedroom. I follow and say AGAIN, "I wasn't talking about MONEY. I wasn't talking about TAXES. You said it sounded like I didn't care and didn't know paying taxes was important, and I was explaining WHY you heard it that way. That's all."

He went to bed and I let him.

It's not like I'm an idiot. Taxes have to be paid or they take your house. Bills have to be paid. Food must be bought. DUH. Thus is the circle of life. But I don't understand that, see. I'm stupid. I have no concept of money or where it comes from. (Did I mention WHO pays the bills around here? WHO keeps the checkbook? WHO buys the groceries and knows what we need when and where? hmmm?)

Sorry about the raving. I can't stand job conversations. I've had about enough of them. I'm sure you can tell from the tone of this blog. It has nothing to do with getting or having a job. I just am sick of explaining, for the millionth time, why I don't have one, don't want one, and why this isn't the time for me to get one.

Then again...this is the same dolt who replied to the news report of "SARS is out of control in Asia." With a "Why would I care, it's China's problem," this evening. Appalled doesn't even begin to express how I felt at THAT moment. "Can you be more heartless?" I ask. (Yes, I talk like Chandler. Seriously.) "What? It's China's problem." I'm like, "9 people died today ALONE. It's spread through most of Asia. There are cases popping up all over the US, including in Washington (state) because nobody knew they had it!" "Oh. I didn't know." Well, SHEEYAH. The heartless comment was like saying, "Oh, well, let them die from it then."

Some days, it doesn't pay to have the husband around. *snarl*




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home